The 5 Obstacles/5 Kleshas/5 Causes of Rebirth (starts in Sutra 2.3)
- Avidya: spiritual ignorance; not seeing clearly; believing in impermanent vs. permanent; non-discrimination (the 1st spiritual step being discrimination.) The other 4 kleshas come from this one.
- Abhinivesha: the will to live; identifying with the (impermanent) body; fear of death.
- Asmita: identification with the ego. I-am-ness.
- Raga: attachment to things, people, habits, ideas, thoughts, etc. Freedom comes when we learn to let go.
- Dvesha: aversion to people, things, ideas, etc.